Wednesday, January 10, 2007

4 days into the valley...

The valley of unknown and it promises great returns...at least that's what I have though. Entering the LINUX, bye bye to MSWindows (even if I truly look forward to the Vista version).

For much too long, MSWindows had been sending me crashing like a dummy in a test drive. Brontok, Sasser, you name it and I been through all. So finally, four days ago I started embarking a new journey into the geeks' realm of LINUX.

Ubuntu5.10 or "breezy" as they called it is the distribution I installed on both my vintage desktops and trusty laptop - it is a final solution to rid my IT life of all the annoying "microorganisms". Like a breeze the new OS installed and run, idoit -proof procedures that need no further elaboration (almost like Windows but only for the first 1hour). And damn I love my new screen and interface - like Maserati - aesthetic and smooth.

But be warned LINUX is definitely no walk in the park and there are indeed some difficulties faced.

1. Installation of printers and scanner is one hell of merry-go-round, especially the for the scanner - apart from installing the driver, you will need to make some changes to the file /etc/udev/rules.d/45-libsane.rules

2. Networking is not a charm for Ubuntu, manual configuration is needed as the SAMBA protocol does detect staions automatically

3. Finally, beware of Ubuntu upgrade to v6. - my laptop lost its voice, desktop 1can find its hard-disk and desktop 2 simply can't get through the login...damn...resolving these threw me back to Ubuntu stoneage.

My advice for those who decide to embark on LINUX - upgrade your Ubuntu before proceeding to install the various other components and hardwares, at least if anything goes wrong, you're not stranded between a rock and a hard place.

Simply yours

No comments: